Pages

Monday 10 October 2011

Spanish Dressage Championships 2011

I'm sure that you may (or may not!) have noticed that I've had a little 'bloggy' break. Not that I haven't got anything to post about but I've just had very limited time between one thing and another. But I have been storing up all my photos ready to send them out into blogspace to share with anyone that's interested!

This weekend was the Spanish Dressage Championships 2011. I was held in the Club Deportivo SEK on the outskirts of Madrid. We had three days of glorious weather, beautiful horses and great riding. It was the adults competition this weekend and the juniors start on Friday this week. I was there the whole time - I even went to see the vet check on Thursday afternoon before the real competition got underway.

I was there for a couple of reasons. Firstly because, as you may know, I'm currently doing a course and practical tests to become a regional dressage judge (more about this tomorrow) and all the experience I can get is useful; and secondly, I was just curious to see what went on at a vet check for a competition of this level. I have to say that I enjoyed it and it was great to see the horse before they started to compete.

So the competition has finished and the winners have been announced:

The medal winners
The gold medal went to the horse 'Grandioso' ridden by José Daniel Martín Dockx, the silver medal went to 'Ciowa' ridden by Carmen Naesgaard and the bronze medal went to 'Guardadamas' ridden by José Antonio García Mena. It was a close thing and the medals were fought for every day of the competition. There was no clear winner even on the final day which made it all the more exciting!

The winners with their trophies
Carmen and Ciowa
There were other categories also being disputed over the weekend - Prix St. Georges, Young Riders and Juniors. The level was high and it was good to see that the new generation of riders are showing great talent and dedication.

Other category winners
I really enjoyed the experience. It was the first Spanish championship that I have been able to attend and I didn't have far to go to see it! I find dressage very interesting to watch and there is always something new to learn - especially from more experienced riders. On Sunday all the tests were Kür (free tests to music) so it was even more interesting, waiting to hear the choice of music for each rider and how they had made their movements fit. A perfect weekend!

Hasta pronto!

5 comments:

  1. I have been off blogger quite a bit too. I love dressage and love watching the pros, on
    videos, I am trying to get good at dressage at the moment and I am really into anything dressage so this post was very interesting thanks for sharing.
    Regards
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... Dressage. Reminds me of the days when my former partner would require me to film every session of dressage training! Once I realized what was going on, I began to enjoy it and appreciate how difficult it really is to do at a high standard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a very interesting weekend indeed! I have seen dressage many times on TV but never had the opportunity to see it in person, it sounds lovely to watch!
    Great pictures :)
    Can't wait for tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to compete in dressage competitions and really enjoyed taking part. How interesting to read that you are taking a course to become a regional dressage judge. Glad you had such a good weekend and I am looking forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edward, watching others is a great way to improve - the more you see the more you learn and improve your own riding. It's a looong journey but so worth it!
    Greg, you see how filming training sessions can enrich your life!!! Dressage is really interesting when you understand what's going on but, I suppose, can be quite tedious for those that don't!
    Bibi, if you get the chance to see dressage in person go along. I'm sure you'll enjoy it - at least for a while! Sorry today's post was a day late!
    Spotty Pony, I take part in dressage comps too occassionally - but find it nerve-wracking!
    Thanks for all your comments.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete