On the northwest coast of the island, the town of Garachico used to be one of the main ports on the island. It was were ships loaded with wine and sugar would had off on their journeys to America and Europe. In 1706 this all ended when one of the nearby volcanoes erupted and buried the town and the port. The lava travelled across the land until it reached the sea.
|El Caletón, Garachico|
The lava formed channels as it cooled in the sea water. The effect of the contrast between the black rock and the blue ocean is dramatic.
|Natural pool, Garachico|